Summary of workshop
This course provides an in-depth exploration of leadership and management principles and practices, with a focus on improving engagement and outcomes in patient care. Participants will gain an understanding of their leadership responsibilities as clinicians, learn how to develop effective leadership behaviours, and practice coaching skills to enhance their personal leadership development plan.
What will be covered
- Developing Effective Leadership Behaviours: Participants will learn how to develop effective leadership behaviours, adapt these to different situations, and improve engagement and outcomes.
- Self-Awareness and Leadership Coaching: Participants will develop an awareness of their leadership style preferences and its impact on others, understand their emotional intelligence profile and how this can be developed to improve leadership performance, and create a personal leadership development plan.
- Team working in Medical Leadership: Participants will review leadership theory in more depth and improve their ability to improve team working and collaboration. This will include understanding the roles of all team members of the multidisciplinary team, promoting a just, open, and transparent culture, and understanding why the NHS promotes inclusive, kind, and compassionate leadership.
- Interpersonal Effectiveness: Participants will improve their ability to manage challenging discussions, deliver difficult feedback, and negotiate effectively. This includes stakeholder analysis, understanding the different sources of power and how these impact the ability to effectively influence change, and developing strategies to optimise self-care, resilience, and emotional agility.
- Personalised Leadership Development Plan: By the end of the course, participants will have developed a personalised leadership development plan and a range of practical skills and techniques to apply in their day-to-day practice.
The course is delivered by experienced medical leadership professionals and provides a mix of interactive sessions, case studies, and practical exercises. Participants will have opportunities for self-reflection and peer feedback and will develop a personalised leadership development plan to apply in their day-to-day practice.
This course is ideal for:
Postgraduate doctors, SAS, local employed doctors, consultants, and allied healthcare professionals