Summary of Workshop
Our two day Future Medical Education Leaders Development Programme is an exciting opportunity for aspiring medical educators who are looking to advance their careers and make a meaningful impact on the future of training.
This programme is designed to equip participants with the knowledge, skills, and experience they need to become leaders in medical education. Over the course of the programme, participants will work closely with leading experts in the field and learn from their experiences and insights.
Through a combination of interactive workshops, case studies, and practical tasks, participants will develop a deeper understanding of best practices in leadership within the context of medical education. Participants will learn how to inspire and motivate their team, manage change, and drive innovation in medical education.
What will be covered?
What is Leadership and Management?
An exploration of successful leadership qualities and behaviours with an introduction to different leadership styles and frameworks
- Awareness of your leadership responsibilities as a clinician and understand why effective clinical leadership is central to safe and effective care
- Understand the range of leadership principles, approaches and techniques and be able to apply them in practice
- Develop effective leadership behaviours and an ability to adapt these to different situations to improve engagement and outcomes
Self-Awareness and Leadership Coaching
An opportunity to practice coaching skills, review your personal strengths and develop a personalised leadership PDP.
- Appreciate your leadership style preferences and its impact on others
- Understand your own emotional intelligence profile and how this can be developed to improve your leadership performance
- Develop a personal leadership development plan
Team working in Medical EducationReview Leadership theory in more depth and improve your ability to improve team working and collaboration.
- Appreciate roles of all team members of the multidisciplinary team
- Promote a just, open and transparent culture
- Demonstrate an understanding of why leadership and team working are important in their role as a medical education leader
- Understand why the NHS promotes, inclusive, kind and compassionate leadership
- Actively participate and contribute to the work and success of a team
- Understand team role profiles and the critical success factors for building a successful medical education team
- Supervising, challenging, influencing appraising and mentoring colleagues and peers to enhance performance and support development
Improve your ability to manage challenging discussions, deliver difficult feedback and negotiate effectively.
- Become more confident handling challenging conversations and negotiations
- Think critically about decision making, reflecting on decision making processes and explain those decisions to others in an honest and transparent way
- Undertake stakeholder analysis and understand the different sources of power and how these impact on the ability to effectively influence change
- Set long-term goals and communicate a strong vision, to inspire and motivate others to work towards a shared vision of success
- Develop strategies to optimise self-care, resilience and emotional agility in ourselves and our trainees
This course is ideal for:
Supervisors, tutors, TPD’s looking to consider a senior role in medical education leadership.
GMC Approved AoME domains – 1-7
12 Hours CPD